Thursday, June 26, 2008

on a lighter note


Paul and I went recently to MoMA. They've moved some paintings since I was last there; I missed seeing Klimt's Forest but delighted in the Pollack room where my eyes feasted a long while. (above, detail from "Full Fathom Five")

Is it odd or fitting that it was in this museum of visual art that I discovered how easily the world can be deprived of color?

One hallway, on the third floor I believe, was drenched in yellow light. All other colors vanished. I tried to remember how colors work... Ah yes, blue lets in all the colors except blue which it reflects back. So what if there is no blue in the light? In this case, everything -- faces, clothing, hands -- was in gray scale of yellow to black. No orange, red, pinks, purple, blue, green or white. It was awful.

If I were ever captured and jailed in some distopian future, that would possibly be the worse punishment. I did not know this was possible without prior injury to my eyes or somesuch.

It surely made me hunger for color immediately -- Paul and I raced through the long pool of yellow light to the other side of the corridor where colors returned.

I need all my colors. The deep purples and the soft greens and sunny oranges. They feed my eyes and my soul. Sometimes I envy the birds' and the bees' ability to see even more colors than I do. Not one color less will do, no, not even one less.


2 comments:

  1. I found out just how much I need my colors as well. Having just returned from arid Las Vegas, I welcomed the sight of green landscapes of the East Coast. The rocky Martian terrain of Nevada leaves me cold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I know what you mean! My eyes relish the abundant greens and yellows and pinks all around us. Even the winter has a vast though more subtle palette. But then again, I have not yet been to the desert...

    ReplyDelete