Monday, November 3, 2008

This Moment

Like many of you, I’m thrilled and anxious when considering the outcome of tomorrow’s election.


By some grace, though, a joyous, steadying thought keeps coming back: we made it this far. Through the campaign, through the last fifty years, last four hundred years.

The past two elections disappointed me deeply, not only for the resulting administration, but also for the alienation I then felt from the rest of the country.

Now I’m looking around, and I like what I see. While nothing is certain, one thing is clear: an African-American man has a very clear shot at becoming our 44th president, less than fifty years after young men and women of his skin shade had to protest for the right to vote (not to forget the open savage violence when they attempted to register).

Has this been pointed out enough? Can it be?

1963


2008



I like the new signs better, don’t you?


I’m not saying racism is over in this country. I just want to say I’m proud of us. I look across the ocean to France: the Algerian Revolution ended in 1962, and Arabs in France have made few real gains in status. Not to oversimplify, as that is a multi-dimensionally different situation, but look at us.

Just look at us.

I don’t know how I’ll feel on Wednesday; emotions are riding high. But right now, for the first time in a long time, I am proud to be American – not just a New Yorker!

2 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean. I (somewhat reluctantly) took the American Citizenship just after GWB was elected for the second time. I almost instantly regretted my decision, until a few months ago, when the spirit of the America I used to know began to shine again. I am proud that my first vote cast in a Presidential election was for Obama and excited at the result.
    Onward!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, many people like me who have been citizens their whole lives have felt apologetic to the world about our nationality -- 'yes, I'm American, but...' It feels good to be proud again. Congratulations on your first vote! Truly, we stand on the shoulders of giants each time we exercize that right.

    ReplyDelete