Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Daisy




I promised some time ago to tell you about Daisy, and after several heavy, serious posts I felt I could use some levity, how about you?

Daisy is my first dog. She was ten when we met two years ago. I never really ‘got’ dogs before. What an ambassador she has been.

She is so good as to be unreal. She is happy to go anywhere, do anything, and take a nap in between. Children can walk right up and grab her ears or stick their hands in her mouth, and she simply lies down to be petted. She will hike for two hours or nap all day.

She absolutely exudes complete peace and gentleness. She is never distressed or anxious.

Her only complaint seems to be if Paul should be downstairs in his studio when I’m upstairs writing. If she wakes from her nap, she may bark ‘woo woo! woo woo!’ until one of us comes and lets her out or sits and pets her. Never mind that she is perfectly capable of coming up to me or down to him. She wants us to be everybody all together, all the time.

Just sitting with her calms me, kissing her velvet nose and smelling her sunshine scent. Honestly, she smells like sunshine. Come on over and have a whiff.

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow, what a face!

    I got a service dog a year ago this coming mother's day. Luke, a golden retriever, helps me with balance issues due to MS. But much more than that, he is what you call "an ambassador." I am always caught anew with his welcoming, bright heart. His brown eyes and butt wiggles seem to chant HappyLove HappyLove HappyLove! Everybody we pass on our walks cannot but smile at the sight of his goofiness, his friendliness.

    And this dog, at the dog beach, with a lime green tennis ball between his teeth--pure bliss. I recognize that gaze in his eyes. It is the same look I know I must have when I am enthralled with a good story, when I am waist-high in a poem that has enchanted me.

    LUke's unabashed, overflowing joy reminds me of mine. His wagging tail just goes swish swish swish and erases many of the stresses and to-dos crowding my mind, wrinkling my forehead. I am an over-thinking, worrying sort. I am the kind of woman who *needs* a dog to remind her: HappyLove HappyLove HappyLove.

    I would attach a photo if I knew how =)

    Pets and ear skritches to Daisy!

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Denise! Luke sounds amazing. I know just what you mean, about HappyLove. Yes, these creatures help to keep our hearts open. Perhaps they are angels come to our homes for that very purpose.
    Give you puppy a cookie from me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to meet Daisy on the 10th. She sounds like an angel.

    ReplyDelete