Monday, April 28, 2008

Web of Care

I try to meditate every morning; I pray and then I listen. There's one prayer I've been doing lately that feels really good. I think I made it up -- I don't remember anyone teaching it to me.

It goes like this: I ask for a blessing for all the people about whom I care, all the people about whom they care, and all the people about whom they care, on and on until everyone in the whole world is included. Then I ask a blessing for all the people who care about me, and all the people who care about them, and on and on until the whole world is included that way.

I imagine for a moment the whole world connected by a web of care. I inhale all the care that comes toward me; I exhale all the care that goes out from me.

Each act of kindness we perform touches a life which touches another. That is another facet of the same idea.

How do you like this? Tell me if this works for you, or if something else does, or if you have your own variation.

2 comments:

  1. is there a specific wording you use? I really like the idea of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for asking!
    I guess it goes something like this:
    Bless all the people for whom I care [some names], and the people about whom they care, and they people about whom they care, on and on until the whole world is included.
    Bless all the people who care about me, and all the people who care about them, and all the people who care about them, on and on until the whole world is included.
    [Then I just try to imagine the earth surrounded by this web of care, all the people all over the planet connected with lines of light (like airlines routes) bouncing here and there all over the place. I breathe it in, I breathe it out, until I really feel it.]

    ReplyDelete